HVO fuel, (also known as Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) is a sustainable, low-carbon, drop-in substitute for conventional fossil diesel. Derived from renewable sources like used vegetable oil, Prema HVO reduces organisations CO2 emissions by up to 85% compared to regular diesel.
In this article, we will explore why businesses are relying on this fuel to meet their sustainability objectives and cut greenhouse gas emissions.
Contents - Quick Navigation
Why use HVO Fuel?
Businesses are transitioning to HVO fuel as their liquid fuel of choice for a variety of reasons.
HVO is a cleaner-burning fuel, producing significantly lower emissions compared to traditional diesel. It offers an 85% reduction in CO2 emissions, alongside reduction in particulate matter, and nitrogen oxide emissions.
Renewable and Sustainable
Prema HVO is made from 100% renewable sources; primarily waste vegetable oils. Our fuel is certified by the ISCC, making Prema HVO is the gold standard of renewable fuels.
Compatible with Existing Infrastructure
HVO is a “drop-in” fuel, meaning it can be used in modern diesel engines without any modifications. This makes it a convenient and cost-effective option for those looking to switch to a low carbon diesel alternative, without the need for capital expenditure.
Longer Shelf Life
HVO has a longer shelf life compared to traditional diesel; up to 10 years! This makes it a reliable option for businesses that may need to store fuel for extended periods without fear of degradation.
How to Use HVO Fuel in Your business?
Using HVO is as simple as using traditional diesel. It is a “drop-in” replacement fuel, meaning it can be used in the majority of existing diesel engines without any modifications. Here are some tips for using HVO fuel:
While HVO fuel is compatible with most diesel engines, it is always a good idea to check with your vehicle or engine manufacturer to ensure compatibility. Contact our team to see our extensive list of OEM approvals.
No tank cleaning required
HVO fuel can be used on its own or mixed with traditional diesel; in any ratio. There is no need to clean your tanks between using HVO and diesel. This means a vehicle running on diesel can be topped up with HVO directly.
HVO can be stored in the same way as traditional diesel, in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. HVO fuel can stay in a tank for 10 years if stored correctly, without microbial growth
Certifications and Standards
Prema HVO fuel adheres to several certifications and standards; ensuring its quality and sustainability credentials. Our HVO fuel is accredited by the International Sustainability and Carbon Certification (ISCC) and the Renewable Fuels Assurance Scheme (RFAS).
The ISCC certification ensures that HVO is produced sustainably, taking into account social, environmental, and economic aspects. It verifies that the feedstock used for HVO production meets specific sustainability criteria, such as not causing deforestation or displacing food production.
The RFAS certification focuses on the greenhouse gas emissions associated with HVO production. It ensures that our HVO renewable diesel achieves the stated level of carbon savings compared to traditional fossil fuels. This certification helps consumers and businesses make informed choices by providing transparency about the environmental impact of our HVO fuel.
In addition to certifications, our HVO also adheres to EN15940 standards. EN15940 is a European standard that defines the requirements and test methods for paraffinic diesel fuel derived from renewable sources. It covers parameters such as fuel composition, properties, and performance characteristics, ensuring that HVO meets specific quality standards. It is widely recognised by most OEM engine manufacturers.
Common use cases for HVO fuel
HVO renewable diesel has been gaining popularity in a wide range of industries. Many organisations are utilising HVO as a key component of their sustainability strategy. Industries that use HVO include:
- Transportation: Many transportation companies have started using HVO in their trucks and buses, reducing their carbon footprint and improving their overall efficiency.
- Construction: Construction companies have also started using HVO in their heavy machinery, reducing emissions and improving environmental performance on job sites.
- Agriculture: HVO renewable diesel is also being used in the agriculture industry, with farmers using it in their tractors and other equipment. This not only reduces emissions but also helps to support sustainable farming practices.
- Commercial boilers: HVO diesel is used in commercial boilers as an alternative to traditional diesel. The use of HVO in boilers helps to reduce the buildings CO2 emissions.
- Inland waterways: Inland waterways have also started using HVO fuel as a more sustainable alternative. HVO diesel can be used in boats and ships that navigate these waterways, helping to reduce emissions and support environmentally friendly transportation practices.
Where Can You Buy HVO Fuel?
HVO fuel use is becoming increasingly commonplace in businesses throughout the UK.
- Small business consumption: Our nationwide team of HVO distributors can supply your business with all quantities of HVO.
- Bulk deliveries: For businesses that require 20,000+ litres of HVO per delivery, our national logistics network can supply you directly with wholesale supply.
Switching to HVO Fuel
Switching to HVO fuel from traditional fuels is a simple process. One of the key advantages of HVO fuel is that it can be used as a drop-in replacement for regular diesel fuel without any modifications to your vehicle’s fuel tank or engine. This means that you can start using HVO diesel without the need for additional infrastructure or tank modifications.
Do you need HVO tanks on site? Our team can provide storage tanks for customers that require assistance with their fuel logistics.
Approved for use by
HVO Fuel FAQs
Switching is easy
1. Schedule a Call
Schedule a call with us to help us to explore ways in which we may be able to help you.
2. Assessment & Advice
We will assess and advise if a specialist liquid fuel would provide you with the best fuel for your organisation’s specific application and goals.
3. Switch Fuel Supply
Our team will provide you with all the technical and engineering support to alleviate concerns about any disruption to operational performance.